Re: trouble compiling

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: trouble compiling
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 18:29:07 -0500

On 05/18/2012 04:52 PM, Luke M wrote:

Luca Citi wrote

As you suggest building outside the mercurial rep is the way to go.

In my recent experience a fairly significant number of projects actually
*require* that you build somewhere other than the source directory.  I
wouldn't mind if this were the case with Octave.

I could be for that as well. "hg diff" is much nicer. After a "make maintainer-clean" in the oct-build (or whatever one chooses) directory there are subdirectories left but they are completely empty. Nice.

Come to think of it, this is how a lot of IDE C/C++ compilers work as well. One often creates several versions of the code with subtle switch differences. (They versions then show up in a drop-down box to make a selection. E.g., a version destined for embedded applications, a version destined for emulation, a local version for programming development, etc.) Upon compiling, each version has its own sub or adjacent directory where the object code and executable end up.

Dan