Re: Compiling Troubles

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Compiling Troubles
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 21:52:51 -0700

On 05/19/2012 11:43 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 19-May-2012, Rik wrote:
>
> | Along the way I restored the ability to do out-of-directory path
> | builds (VPATH builds in the language of Autotools).
>
> Maybe I misunderstand, but when did it not work?  Or, exactly what
> wasn't working?
The documentation for the AUTHORS file was not building if the source tree
had been modified in any way.  A straight build of a freshly unpacked
tarball was fine because we've put in rules that ship a copy of the
documentation with every tarball.  A build in the source tree with a
documentation rebuild was also fine.  A VPATH build didn't work because the
'@include contributors.texi' macro would not find contributors.texi in the
build tree but only in the source tree.  I used the same solution we had in
place for the DOCSTRINGS file which was to copy contributors.texi to the
build tree if the build tree and source tree directories were different.

--Rik