Re: Race condition seems to be fixed

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Race condition seems to be fixed
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 15:06:05 +0100

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Jacob Dawid <address@hidden> wrote:

You're right, performances may decrease. That's also why I think it's worth considering the problem the other way around: let octave tell you when you need to update the variable browser. In the end, octave is the one who should know whether something change in the current scope. If you had such flag, the readline input hook could be very light.

Michael.

Don't think so complicated :), we don't need all that. We can introduce a callback and octave will call it whenever it thinks it's time to update. Let alone the fact that the readline hook will be invoked in idle (ie. absolutely nothing changed) is a waste of computing power.

Doing a full refresh on every "Enter" key pressed is an equal waste of computing power. Especially if you have 10000 variables in your current scope and none of them changed.

Michael.