Re: Octave/GUI tests

From: Jacob Dawid
Subject: Re: Octave/GUI tests
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 00:47:52 +0200

I have added the fix of Marco, but unfortunately it didn't fix the problem with the pager on Ubuntu 12.04.

2012/5/28 Israel Herraiz <address@hidden>
Excerpts from Michael Goffioul's message of Sat May 26 08:28:00 -0700 2012:
> - using the "exit" menu item while a gnuplot window is opened leads to a
> segfault

I am obtaining some segfaults as well in other situations. I added the
following to OctaveLink::terminateOctave, and now the segfaults are
gone:

 octave_syscalls::kill (octave_syscalls::getpid(), 1);

I have replaced the octave exit callback to handle an exit. There are two sources for bugs: Either octave doesn't call octave exit at the very end, or the GUI tries to interact with octave after the exit. Before we actually fix something, I think it is important to determine of which kind a bug is in order to be able to fis it appropriately.

Also, I decided to disable the exit and quit commands in the terminal,
adding

 quit_allowed = false;

to OctaveLink::launchOctave. This way, Octave runs in "embedded mode"
and the GUI can only be exited from the menu or closing the main
window, but not the from the terminal. I have been extensively testing
the GUI to use it for my classes, and I think using embedded mode
solves many of the problems to cleanly finish the GUI.

This is not acceptable. Octave must not run in embedded mode, it must be fully functional. See my latest commit, maybe this fixes the segfault: http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/ea11c9d8aa47