Re: Octave/GUI tests

From: Israel Herraiz
Subject: Re: Octave/GUI tests
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 19:07:48 -0700

Excerpts from Jacob Dawid's message of Sun May 27 15:47:52 -0700 2012:
> I have replaced the octave exit callback to handle an exit. There are two
> sources for bugs: Either octave doesn't call octave exit at the very end,
> or the GUI tries to interact with octave after the exit. Before we actually
> fix something, I think it is important to determine of which kind a bug is
> in order to be able to fis it appropriately.

I have done some tests with the latest commits, just in case it helps.
I have done all the tests with Octave 3.6.1, I modified line 150 in
WorkspaceModel.cpp to make it compile with Octave 3.6.1. All the tests
are in Archlinux.

Test 1 (no segfault):

  a = 2
  exit (from terminal)

Test 2 (segfault):

  a = 2
  (close main window)

Test 3 (no segfault):

  (close main window without executing any command)

Test 4 (no segfault):

  exit

Test 5 (no segfault):

  x = [1 2 3]
  plot(x) [with gnuplot]
  exit

Test 6 (no segfault):

  x = [1 2 3]
  plot(x) [again gnuplot]
  (close main window)

So, in summary, I can confirm that I get segfaults only exiting from
the GUI (closing main window or using exit from the menu). No
segfaults at all exiting from the terminal. But it only happens when I
have run a command. Interestingly (strangely), the crash does not
happen if the last command is a plot, and the gnuplot window is still
open.

Cheers,
Israel