Re: Octave/GUI tests

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Octave/GUI tests
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 10:33:57 -0700

Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 20:00:42 +0200
> From: Jacob Dawid <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Cc: "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden>, Jordi Guti?rrez Hermoso
>       <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Octave/GUI tests
>
> Hey Michael,
>
> thank you for testing! Here is a short reply to give you an idea of how I
> want to tackle these issues:
>
> - terminal widget not behaving correctly; after start-up, I see
>> > "undecodable token: \001b(hex)[?1034h" appearing; it seems that the
>> > terminal size is not adapted properly in the pty, this is especially
>> > visible when starting "system('vim')"
>> > - probably related to the previous one, pager doesn't work properly; I
>> > start the GUI with "./bin/octave-gui" in a terminal; at octave prompte,
>> > when using the pager, I can't control it from the octave terminal widget, I
>> > have to type my commands in the terminal where I started the GUI
>> >
> These are tricky issues I have still to figure out. Since the bug must be
> somewhere in qterminal, I can't really tell what is the issue here. Any
> help, ideas or hints are appreciated.

5/28/12

Michael,

This may be caused by the sophistication of your pager.  Ordinarily, I use
'less' and I have a .lesskey file which tricks it out.  I have the same
issue as you in that the pager output appears in the Qt terminal window but
the control characters such as 'f' for forward need to be typed in the
original shell window from which I launched octave-gui.

I can work around this by going down to the super dumb 'more' pager.  If I
launch octave-gui and then do

PAGER ("/bin/more");
PAGER_FLAGS (" ");  # Space between quotes

then reading the documentation, etc., works from within the Qt terminal
widget.  This may just be an indication that Qt terminal is 99% equivalent
to a terminal, but not 100% compatible.

--Rik