Re: Octave/GUI tests

From: Israel Herraiz
Subject: Re: Octave/GUI tests
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 13:26:28 -0700

Excerpts from Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso's message of Mon May 28 06:58:06 -0700
2012:
> No, let's hear it, even if it's long. Because the current GUI code is
> being built against the dev version and won't build against 3.6.1. If
> you've built against dev but are running against 3.6.1, you'll see all
> kinds of UB.

I am able to build the GUI against Octave 3.6.1, with a minimal change
in the code (line 150 in gui/src/WorkspaceModel.cpp, change the call
to the dup function). That's all you need to make it build against
3.6.1. It is not that I build against dev and run against 3.6.1.  It
actually builds and runs fine with that change. No warnings, weird
behavior or crashes.

But to be totally sure, I have rebuilt everything using the changeset
14714:55f88d2236b6 (the head in the gui branch as of writing
this). After rebuilding everything, the behavior is exactly the same
(same crashes with the same tests, as reported in my previous email).

Why am I using Octave 3.6.1 with the latest dev gui code? The thing is
that I am customizing the GUI for my classes [1] (I teach programming
and numerical methods for civil engineers), and I am preparing
Windows, Mac and Linux packages for my students. Because there is
already an Octave 3.6.1 package in Windows, it is much easier to build
on top of that on Windows, that's why I am not using Octave dev in my
environment (which is actually Archlinux). Compiling the GUI in
Windows is way easier than compiling the whole Octave. As soon as I
manage to compile Octave by myself, or a new Windows package is
available, I will move forward to a new version of Octave.

Cheers,
Israel

[1] http://mat.caminos.upm.es/octave (only in Spanish, sorry)