Re: Octave 3.6.2 (VS2010) available

From: John Frain
Subject: Re: Octave 3.6.2 (VS2010) available
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 16:24:32 +0100

I have done some basic checking with the basic Octave-3.6.2 compiled
with Visual Studio 2010 and it appears to work well.  However I have
had some problems with the GUI.  I hope that the following may help
along the path to a successful GUI.

I have windows 7 enterprise (64-bit) on a PC with core 2 duo 6600 CPU.
 When I start the GUI I get all the expected windows, The GUI is
frozen  and the following appears in the Command Window.

************* Command Window *****************

GNU Octave, version 3.6.2
Copyright (C) 2012 John W. Eaton and others.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.

Octave was configured for "i686-pc-mingw32".

Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octa
ve.org.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

Read http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to submit bug rep
orts.

For information about changes from previous versions, type `news'.

 - Use `pkg list' to see a list of installed packages.
 - MSYS shell available (c:\Octave\Octave-3.6.2\msys).
 - Graphics backend: qt.

(END)

*******************************

Perhaps the program is looking for some resource that it can not find.

After waiting several minutes if I press q I sometimes get a message
get a message

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error

Runtime Error

Program: C:\OCTAVE\Octave-3.6.2\bin\octave-qui.rxe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
unusual way.

****************************
If I try to run a simple file test01.m the (END) vanishes and is replaced by

...skipping...
 - Use `pkg list' to see a list of installed packages.
 - MSYS shell available (c:\Octave\Octave-3.6.2\msys).
 - Graphics backend: qt.

~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
sh: -c: line 0: unexpected EPF while looking for matching `''
sh: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file
Cannot write to "ers/frainj/tempOctave/test01.m'" (press RETURN)

************************************

When I press return I get a few blank lines and then the

(END)

When I now enter q I get an Octave prompt.

:>1

and Octave appears to work most times but

The cursor is often displaced one or more columns to the left of where
the entry is to be made.

.If,  at the prompt, I type  x=[1,2;3,4]  As the last ] is typed the
x=[1[2;3,4].  If I then press enter or change focus to this email the
entry is corrected.  If I try to correct the entry it appears to cause
all kinds of problems.  In any case it is very difficult to change the
entry because of the misplaced cursor.

Best regards

John

--