Re: [OctDev] bug with optim-1.1.0.tar.gz and mac os 10.7.4

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: [OctDev] bug with optim-1.1.0.tar.gz and mac os 10.7.4
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 08:50:41 -0400

On 6 June 2012 08:10, Olaf Till <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 07:15:57AM -0400, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
> wrote:

>> There's also the issue that we have two mkoctfile programs, one in
>> bash and one in C++.
>
> Is mkoctfile.cc only for use on Windows? Then this specific change
> with "-framework" probably would not need to go into it.

But then this becomes a maintenance problem down the line. Duplication
of code is problematic, moreso when each duplicate intentionally forks
off in slightly different directions. I think perhaps we should only
keep the C++ version, in the interest of cross-platform maintenance.

> Isn't recognizing one more flag (even if only passing it to the
> linker, although it seemingly also could passed to the compiler) a
> step in the right direction?

I'd rather not have a host of weird flags in mkoctfile just because
one OS that happens to be currently popular has weird flags (Octave
has been around for 20 years, and it may be around for 20 more years).
If we're gonna fix this, let's fix this correctly *now*. I know it's a
chore, but sooner or later, we're gonna have to do it. It's not gonna
be any more pleasant or exciting to do this later than it is to do it
now.

- Jordi G. H.