Video pkg [WAS: Re: Octave 3.6.2 (VS2010) available]

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Video pkg [WAS: Re: Octave 3.6.2 (VS2010) available]
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 11:48:36 -0700 (PDT)

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote

> On 7 June 2012 23:12, cmoibenlepro <plante.benoit@> wrote:
>> By the way, is it possible to install the 'video' package using this
>> version?
>
> The video package does not work reliably on any platform. It is
> unmaintained and bitrotten.

True, there's lots to be desired; but it isn't so very bad.

Nitzan included it in his MinGW binaries for Windows. On 3.4.3 it worked the
best, on 3.6.1 it has some problems but still works.
I've used it quite a bit during the last 6 months. So I'm all in favor of
having it included it in the prebuilt binaries.

What is really lacking is a getframe() function. I'm using a replacement
script that prints to disk and then reads that file using imread(). Slow,
but the advantage is that it has a predictable (if unadjustable) resolution
of 1200x900 which perfectly serves my needs.

Philip