Re: Octave-forge upgrade installers for Octave-3.6.2/VS2010

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Octave-forge upgrade installers for Octave-3.6.2/VS2010
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 11:19:04 -0700 (PDT)

Michael,

Michael Goffioul wrote

> <snip>
> I implemented a simple octaveforge package upgrade system. This has the
> form of simple installers that are intended to be deployed on top of an
> existing octave binary install. The installer takes care of installing (if
> it's a new package), or upgrading (if it's already installed) the
> octaveforge package. If there are any external dependencies (like DLL's),
> these are included into the installer.

It doesn't seem to work fool-proof.
Perhaps because I installed Octave in a non-default dir?
C:\Programs\Octave\Octave-3.6.2\

Pic of error message attached / uploaded.

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4630733/MSVC_video-1.0.2.png
MSVC_video-1.0.2.png

> One important thing to note is that there's no way back, like an
> uninstaller for that specific package. If anything wrong happens, I'd
> recommend to uninstall the package manually using "pkg uninstall" or
> reinstall octave using the main octave installer.

I tried to upgrade to io-1.0.19, but that failed as well (similar error msg
as video-1.0.2). Yet it turned out that the existing io-1.0.18 installation
was untouched.

Anyway, I applaud your initiative. Let me know what I can to to help you
debug this (other than installing VisualC++ Express, I have insufficient
disk space for that (it needs 2.2 GB).

Philip