Some GUI testing

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Some GUI testing
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 22:30:16 +0100

Hi Jacob,

I've recompiled the GUI (under Linux) from this evening and ran a few tests. Here are a few things I noticed:
- large strings are still printed verbatim in the variable browser (try for instance "demo plotyy"), this makes it not user-friendly
- keyboard shortcuts in the editor don't seem to work; for instance CTRL-S does not save the file; moreover if I click on the save button, the file is saved but then the editor tells me the file has been saved by another application and asks whether it should be reloaded...
- on a more general note, when the editor is docked, it's confusing to have the docked window having its own menubar (toolbar is probabl OK); I wouldn't worry about that at the moment, but that something that I would change on the long term
- when I dock the editor below the command window, there's no separator bar appearing and part of the UI is not resizeable (see screenshot): obviously I can't resize the editor vertically, but I also can't move the separator between the command/editor pair and the file browser
- using the "parent directory" button still seems to send (slowly) the command on the octave prompt, while opening the directory browser and selecting a directory does it on the background
- I would rename the file browser window; at the moment the title says "Current Directory", but I find it confusing as you also have the current directory in the main toolbar; what I don't know is whether both should be linked, as in the file browser always displaying the content of the current octave directory (thinking about it, I don't think it's desirable)

I noticed that there's partial support for debugging: I added a keyboard statement in a script and was able to use keyboard shortcuts to step/continue/... However there's no visual display in the editor and I didn't find a way to set a breakpoint graphically. I assume this is still work in progress.

On the good side, I also see that many things have already been fixed, so keep up the good work ;)

Michael.