Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 75, Issue 39

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 75, Issue 39
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 17:56:50 -0400

On Jun 24, 2012, at 5:29 PM, Thomas Yengst wrote:

> On Jun 24, 2012, at 10:00 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>
>> Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 16:51:27 -0400
>> From: Ben Abbott <address@hidden>
>> Subject: MacOS X App Bundle
>>
>> I've added a page to the wiki describing my approach to using MacPorts to
>> produce a bundle for MacOS X.
>>

>> http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Create_a_MacOS_X_App_Bundle_Using_MacPorts
>>
>> I've also placed a copy of my latest attempt in my DropBox.  The link is
>> below for anyone who would like to try it out (pls report back).  This
>> version is build from the developers sources (not from released sources).
>>
>>      https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14845154/Octave-X86_64-3.7.0%2B.dmg
>>
>> Ben
>
> Ben - nice set of instructions. I didn't try them all, but the process was
> easy to follow and seems to navigate the subtleties of OS-X.
>
> Macbook Pro 10.6.8 Core-2 Duo 2.5 GHz
> 64-bit enabled
> 4 GB RAM
> MacPorts base version 2.1.1 downloaded and upgraded before trying Octave 3.7.0
> No Fink
> No Homebrew
> Xcode 4.2
>
> ran Octave 3.7.0 from within the DMG file (i.e., didn't copy to the hard
> drive) - no luck; all menus were grayed out. Hard to say what it was waiting
> for; as the Activity Monitor showed only 7 MB of RAM (5 threads) being used
> and 0.1% CPU.
>
> Copied to a folder (2 GB worth) - same response. No octave shell opens.
> I clobbered my .octaverc, but not change in behaviour
>
> let me know what I can do help diagnose the problem.
>
> Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the quick look. The size is a bit weird. When I download the DMG,
the Finder tells me it is almost 2GB, but when it is finished downloading and
I've placed the app in /Applications it is only 632MB.

In any event, I've placed a 2nd one on DropBox that fixes some problems with
setting up the environment for AquaTerm, Gnuplot and Ghostscript.

Regarding the grayed out menus, what do you refer to ?

When I run Octave-3.7.0+.app from the DMG, I encounter three warnings about
applications (the app, the app's Octave shell script, and AquaTerm) having been
downloaded and am asked if it is ok to open them. That slows down the startup
time (takes a couple of minutes), but eventually it does run for me.

When it is run, the Octave icon should show up, then the Terminal.app, next
AquaTerm.app, and finally Octave runs.

Ben