Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 75, Issue 39

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 75, Issue 39
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 23:16:59 +0000 (GMT)

On Jun 24, 2012, at 07:00 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

On Jun 24, 2012, at 6:53 PM, Thomas Yengst wrote:

>>> Ben - nice set of instructions. I didn't try them all, but the process was easy to follow and seems to navigate the subtleties of OS-X.
>>>
>>> Macbook Pro 10.6.8 Core-2 Duo 2.5 GHz
>>> 64-bit enabled
>>> 4 GB RAM
>>> MacPorts base version 2.1.1 downloaded and upgraded before trying Octave 3.7.0
>>> No Fink
>>> No Homebrew
>>> Xcode 4.2
>>>
>>> ran Octave 3.7.0 from within the DMG file (i.e., didn't copy to the hard drive) - no luck; all menus were grayed out. Hard to say what it was waiting for; as the Activity Monitor showed only 7 MB of RAM (5 threads) being used and 0.1% CPU.
>>>
>>> Copied to a folder (2 GB worth) - same response. No octave shell opens.
>>> I clobbered my .octaverc, but not change in behaviour
>>>
>>> let me know what I can do help diagnose the problem.
>>>
>>> Tom
>>
>> Tom,
>>
>> Thanks for the quick look. The size is a bit weird. When I download the DMG, the Finder tells me it is almost 2GB, but when it is finished downloading and I've placed the app in /Applications it is only 632MB.
>>
>> In any event, I've placed a 2nd one on DropBox that fixes some problems with setting up the environment for AquaTerm, Gnuplot and Ghostscript.
>>
>> Regarding the grayed out menus, what do you refer to ?
>>
>> When I run Octave-3.7.0+.app from the DMG, I encounter three warnings about applications (the app, the app's Octave shell script, and AquaTerm) having been downloaded and am asked if it is ok to open them. That slows down the startup time (takes a couple of minutes), but eventually it does run for me.
>>
>> When it is run, the Octave icon should show up, then the Terminal.app, next AquaTerm.app, and finally Octave runs.
>>
>> Ben
>
> When I started Octave, I didn't have anything else open up, meaning it was just the App. After opening Octave, no terminal, no aquaterm... just grayed out menu items under File, Edit, and Window. The only thing that wasn't grayed out was File-Print, which brought up a print dialog box. Given that there was 2 GB worth of stuff in the bundle, this must be a missing connection kind of thing. I can see that all the dependencies are there.
>
> I do have AquaTerm and Gnuplot installed in the /Applications folder, but I thought the whole idea of a Mac bundle is to have all the dependencies in one place under a root tree.
>
> Is the second version of your Octave-3.7.0 at a different Dropbox location or the same link as originally posted (i.e., https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14845154/Octave-X86_64-3.7.0%2B.dmg)?
>
> cheers
> Tom

The newer version is at the same location.

The bundle uses a shell script that launches Octave and should isolate it from everything on your system.

The script is at the link below.

http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=MacOS_X_App_Octave_Shell_Script

I also have AquaTerm and Gnuplot in my Applications folder, but the bundle does not use them.

I don't know what to think about your experience. I'll be able to do more testing on other Macs this week. Maybe I'll encounter something similar?

Ben

On an old MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo running 10.6.8, the app seems to launch. Ultimately the icon bounces on the then settles on the Dock.

However, nothing else happens. So I tried to run the bundled Octave from the Terminal's command liine.

$ cd /Applications/Octave-3.7.0+.app/Contents/Resources/bin/
$ ./octave
The application cannot be opened because it has an incorrect executable format.
./octave: line 124: /Applications/Octave-3.7.0+.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave-3.7.0+: Bad CPU type in executable

As soon as I get this error the icon on the Dock disappears.

Ben