Re: MacOS X App Bundle

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: MacOS X App Bundle
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 08:24:12 -0400

On Jun 25, 2012, at 12:21 AM, Thomas Yengst wrote:

> On Jun 24, 2012, at 4:16 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

>>> The newer version is at the same location.
>>>
>>> The bundle uses a shell script that launches Octave and should isolate it
>>> from everything on your system.
>>>
>>> The script is at the link below.
>>>
>>> http://www.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=MacOS_X_App_Octave_Shell_Script
>>>
>>> I also have AquaTerm and Gnuplot in my Applications folder, but the bundle
>>> does not use them.
>>>
>>> I don't know what to think about your experience. I'll be able to do more
>>> testing on other Macs this week. Maybe I'll encounter something similar?
>>>
>>> Ben
>>
>> On an old MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo running 10.6.8, the app seems to
>> launch. Ultimately the icon bounces on the then settles on the Dock.
>>
>> However, nothing else happens. So I tried to run the bundled Octave from the
>> Terminal's command liine.
>>
>> $ cd /Applications/Octave-3.7.0+.app/Contents/Resources/bin/
>> $ ./octave
>> The application cannot be opened because it has an incorrect executable
>> format.
>> ./octave: line 124:
>> /Applications/Octave-3.7.0+.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave-3.7.0+: Bad
>> CPU type in executable
>>
>> As soon as I get this error the icon on the Dock disappears.
>>
>> Ben
>>

> OK - a bit of progress. I ran Octave-3.7.0+.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave
> from the DMG file and after 15 seconds of grinding, Aquaterm launched and I
> got an Octave prompt. - Octave was configured for "x86_64-apple-darwin11.4.0".
> plotting with gnuplot worked. Some simple test scripts worked.
> Aquaterm was the one distributed with the DMG - that's good.
>
> After exit, a 2nd start likewise took about 15 seconds to get to an octave
> prompt. Lots of grinding going on somewhere.
>
> Something about the launch from a double click isn't letting it get to
> launching the actual application.
> Tom

Tom,

How did you run Octave the second time ? Was it still in the DMG, or did you
copy it to a new location on your HD?

It is possible that my syntax for opening a app only works on Lion.  Does your
system support "open -F -a <application-name>" ?  What does "man open" say?

Also, how did you enable 64bit support?

Ben