Re: Octave - instrument control option

From: Jacob Dawid
Subject: Re: Octave - instrument control option
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 11:42:08 +0200

Julien,

2012/6/26 Julien Salort <address@hidden>:
> Le 26 juin 2012 à 11:24, Jacob Dawid a écrit :
>
>> Julien,
>>
>> for legal issues please consider asking the fsf/a lawyer.
>>

>> However, probably we could work on getting rid of the dependencies on
>> proprietary software in your code.
>
> It's true that we could use libgpib instead of NI-488.2.
> I'm unsure what would be the equivalent of NI-VISA.

We should then try to envision that. Would you like to help us?

> There are other legal questions that are not GPL related:
> - I've written support for the various instruments that I use (eg. Keithley
> 2000, Agilent 34970A, ...).
> I don't know if these manufacturers allow third-parties to distribute
> "drivers" for those instruments.

This is a legal issue that I cannot answer, but I have a feeling that
it should not be an issue. I assume this is also dependent on the
country you live in and its jurisdiction.

> - Additionnally, I have only implemented a subset of their functions
> (depending on my personnal needs).
> Is this a problem ?

Usually not. If you release your source code under the terms of the
GPL, others will have the opportunity to add missing functionality
themselves or by people they hire to do that.

> - And finally, what if a bug in my code leads to some accident in some place ?
> (eg. someone who would use this code to control some piece of equipment and a
> bug leads to something bad on this costy equipment or the people around.
> Would I be legally responsible ?)

I cite from the GPL:
"16. Limitation of Liability.
IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW OR AGREED TO IN WRITING
WILL ANY COPYRIGHT HOLDER, OR ANY OTHER PARTY WHO MODIFIES AND/OR
CONVEYS THE PROGRAM AS PERMITTED ABOVE, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES,
INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE PROGRAM (INCLUDING BUT
NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF DATA OR DATA BEING RENDERED INACCURATE OR
LOSSES SUSTAINED BY YOU OR THIRD PARTIES OR A FAILURE OF THE PROGRAM
TO OPERATE WITH ANY OTHER PROGRAMS), EVEN IF SUCH HOLDER OR OTHER
PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES."

Best regards,
Jacob