Re: Contributing to Octave help function.

From: Sergey Dudoladov
Subject: Re: Contributing to Octave help function.
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 13:09:50 +0400

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 6:43 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

On Jul 21, 2012, at 3:19 AM, Sergey Dudoladov wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 5:20 PM, Michael D Godfrey <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 07/19/2012 09:02 AM, Sergey Dudoladov wrote:
>>   Any feedback  is welcome. In particular, I have two questions
>>   1) Is it possible to do it using m-scripts only?  I currently don't know C or C++.
> help is an m file, so that is a place to start.  In Octave type which help.
>
>>   2) Is there any detailed description of a code contribution workflow ( besides contributors guide ) I can follow ?
> Here is a start:
> To report a new bug go to
>
> http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=additem&group=octave
>

> If you have a patch to fix it, you should create a changeset. See
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Basics-of-Generating-a-Changeset.html#Basics-of-Generating-a-Changeset
>

> It is a good idea to enter this as a bug.  This way it will get attention.  Most (but not all) incompatibilities
> with Matlab can be considered as bugs.
>

>>       I interested in things like "When and how often to build sources ?", "What things should be changed in configuration files when I change a function?" etc.
> Octave is under quite active development.  You will get the idea soon.  Look around the Octave web page
> and wiki.
>
> Thanks for your interest.
>  mdg
>

>  I've just had a look at help.m file.   It can list all operators, functions and keywords with the command "help --list"
>  However, the output of this command is rather big.
>
>  I suggest I add four more options, namely --operators , --keywords, --builtins and --functions, abbreviated as -o,  -k ,  -b and -f  respectively. For instance, invoking   "help -k" or "help --keywords" will show keywords in the format similar to "help --list"       I  will also give "help --list"  its own shortcut "help -l"
>
> Any comments before I start coding ?

For abbreviations, please allow any incomplete but unique  options. For example, "-o", "-op", "-operat", etc.   There is more than one way to do that, but I tend to favor the using the function strncmpi().

Ben

 Ok, I've done several things so far:

 1) Change my local help.m file. It now handles 'help .'  correctly;
 2) Tested it in my version of Octave 3.6.1.
      It seems to be OK, because 'help .' lists all operators, and function "help" still passes 'test help'.
 3) Created a relevant bug report #36920;
 4) Created a cset and exported it to a file;

Two questions:
  1) Is it OK to submit the patch if "hg import" rejects it ? Or should I try to eliminate any conflicts?
  2) Should I attach the patch to the bug report or submit it separately through a patch tracker ?