Re: Contributing to Octave help function.

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Contributing to Octave help function.
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 07:42:16 -0400

On Jul 23, 2012, at 5:09 AM, Sergey Dudoladov wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 6:43 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On Jul 21, 2012, at 3:19 AM, Sergey Dudoladov wrote:
>

> > On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 5:20 PM, Michael D Godfrey <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On 07/19/2012 09:02 AM, Sergey Dudoladov wrote:
> >>   Any feedback  is welcome. In particular, I have two questions
> >>   1) Is it possible to do it using m-scripts only?  I currently don't know
> >> C or C++.
> > help is an m file, so that is a place to start.  In Octave type which help.
> >
> >>   2) Is there any detailed description of a code contribution workflow (
> >> besides contributors guide ) I can follow ?
> > Here is a start:
> > To report a new bug go to
> >
> > http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=additem&group=octave
> >

> > If you have a patch to fix it, you should create a changeset. See
> >
> > http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Basics-of-Generating-a-Changeset.html#Basics-of-Generating-a-Changeset
> >

> > It is a good idea to enter this as a bug.  This way it will get attention.
> > Most (but not all) incompatibilities
> > with Matlab can be considered as bugs.
> >

> >>       I interested in things like "When and how often to build sources ?",
> >> "What things should be changed in configuration files when I change a
> >> function?" etc.
> > Octave is under quite active development.  You will get the idea soon.
> > Look around the Octave web page
> > and wiki.
> >
> > Thanks for your interest.
> >  mdg
> >
> >  I've just had a look at help.m file.   It can list all operators,
> > functions and keywords with the command "help --list"
> >  However, the output of this command is rather big.
> >
> >  I suggest I add four more options, namely --operators , --keywords,
> > --builtins and --functions, abbreviated as -o,  -k ,  -b and -f
> > respectively. For instance, invoking   "help -k" or "help --keywords" will
> > show keywords in the format similar to "help --list"       I  will also
> > give "help --list"  its own shortcut "help -l"
> >
> > Any comments before I start coding ?
>
> For abbreviations, please allow any incomplete but unique  options. For
> example, "-o", "-op", "-operat", etc.   There is more than one way to do
> that, but I tend to favor the using the function strncmpi().
>
> Ben
>
>  Ok, I've done several things so far:
>
>  1) Change my local help.m file. It now handles 'help .'  correctly;
>  2) Tested it in my version of Octave 3.6.1.
>       It seems to be OK, because 'help .' lists all operators, and function
> "help" still passes 'test help'.
>  3) Created a relevant bug report #36920;
>  4) Created a cset and exported it to a file;
>
> Two questions:
>   1) Is it OK to submit the patch if "hg import" rejects it ? Or should I try
> to eliminate any conflicts?
>   2) Should I attach the patch to the bug report or submit it separately
> through a patch tracker ?

The attached make_changeset.sh (I assumed you're running a Unix variant) and
the accompanying ChangeLog.txt.  This script is intended to create a hg
changeset using your new help.m and a local mercurial archive.  Note: you'll
need to change the $ARCHIVE variable in the script to point to your local hg
archive.

You may attach the patch to either the bug tracker or the patch tracker.  If
the latter, please provide a link in the bug tracker.

Ben