Re: Polar axes

From: logari81
Subject: Re: Polar axes
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 09:05:39 +0200

On 07/24/2012 05:15 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
<address@hidden> wrote:
On 24 July 2012 10:25, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
<address@hidden> wrote:
Look at the differences in the axes for "demo plot" between gnuplot
and fltk. Is this easy to fix?

How about using polar axes? Is that easy?
My plot function seems not to have demos

warning: no demo available for plot
Sorry, I meant "demo polar".

- Jordi G. H.
I see fltk is not plotting a pair of axes crossing at the origin, the
rest looks the same to me.
Definitely, polar axis would be the best. What is the difference
between a axes object and a plot object? or How is the geometry of the
axes defined?

Hi,

I have been considering to add support for polar plots in the OpenGL backend for long time but lately my free time is almost inexistent. It shouldn't be much work, I think not more than a few hours programming and the implementation should be quite straightforward. One would need to extend the opengl_renderer::draw_axes function in gl-render.cc for drawing a circular axes box/plane and a polar grid. For cartesian axes this drawing is split into several functions:

  draw_axes_planes (props);
  draw_axes_boxes (props);
  draw_axes_x_grid (props);
  draw_axes_y_grid (props);
  draw_axes_z_grid (props);

However, polar axes should be restricted to 2D, so all this drawing would be simple enough to fit in one function:

  draw_axes_polar (props);

I hope this hints can be helpful for anyone willing to add this important feature to the OpenGL backend.

Kostas