Automake and "convenience libraries"

From: Rik
Subject: Automake and "convenience libraries"
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 09:21:10 -0700

7/27/12

John,

The src/ directory is really full of files to the point of
disorganization.  We talked about changing this at OctConf 2012 by creating
a few subdirectories to better modularize and group related bits of code
and then building "convenience libraries" in these subdirectories.  I took
a look, and this is definitely a possibility, but probably more work than I
want to try at this point in time.

I started with trying to move bitfcns.cc into a corefcn/ directory.  What I
found was that this depended on octave value stuff.  Eventually I think we
need to create at least a pt/, ov/, and corefcn directories and then use
the SUBDIRS command in Makefile.am to ensure that pt and ov get built
before the corefcn directory.  We can use the LIBADD command in the corefcn
directory to pick up the convenience libraries from pt/, ov/.

For the moment, I'm going to proceed in two steps and move functions from
the DLD-FUNCTIONS/ directory up into src/ if they don't really need to be
dynamically loaded.  And once we get around to modularizing the src/
directory these functions can migrate to their new home.

--Rik