Re: GUI font and cursor location

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: GUI font and cursor location
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 09:46:20 -0400

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 9:21 AM, Michael Goffioul <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Doug Stewart <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Michael Goffioul <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Doug Stewart <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 7:44 AM, Michael Goffioul <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Doug Stewart <address@hidden> wrote:

Could you also provide a full description of the problem:
- the font you use
- the steps needed to reproduce the issue
- a screenshot of the issue

Jacob, is there a way to revert back to a block cursor? I've reverted my qterminal repo to 186cf3960cfa0c2752b77eba18af24cd0853c12a, but I can't change the cursor shape, it's always an Ibeam whatever I select in the preferences dialog (changing blinking works, though).

Michael.

I thought I did give a full description.

In qt
compile and run qterminal using the default font and font size
fill one line with characters, any characters.
using the left and right arrows move back and forth on the same line.
watch how the characters move left and right as the cursor moves past each character.

Now change the default font size to 8 and do the same
etc.

This does not tell me which font you're using. I can observe something similar when the terminal widget is using a non-monospace font. But that's not an issue, because the terminal widget is NOT supposed to be used with a non-monospace font (the problem here is that when the config file is empty, the GUI picks up a non-monospace font, and that's a bug, because it should pick up the system default monospace font).

Now when I open the preferences dialog and go to the terminal tab, I can change the font size, but as the font selector is now only filled with monospace fonts (defaults to "Courier New" on my system), this also change the font and the cursor behaves normally afterwards.

I've tried with 3 monospace fonts I have installed on my system and they all work fine. If you are able to reproduce the problem with a monospace font, could you tell me which one? (and a screenshot would also help)

Thanks,
Michael.

I was not using the GUI
I was running only qterminal and I was using the default font of qterminal.

  Some background Info:
  Jacob saw the problem first from the GUI side. and as a result he froze the terminal width in the gui. I saw that the terminal width would not re-size and asked him why and he explained the problem to me. At Montreal we talked about it and I asked him to give me a week to look at it when I got home.
So after some time I narrowed it down to what I have explained. It seems that   Mike Miller saw the problem and fix.
"
Applied here and definitely much improved for me. I still see a little
bit of movement though. I've tried a handful of mono fonts at
different sizes and there is still a tiny amount of wiggle when moving
the cursor across the line. Maybe down to a one-pixel error at this
point though.
"

 So, if you don't see the problem then this adds more mystery!
Doug

I'm willing to help, but at this point I still don't know which font is used to reproduce the problem. And if it can be reproduced with a monospace font, which one. You mention that your test case is to run qterminal, but qterminal does not have any preference dialog, so how and where do you change the default font size?

When I run qterminal, it uses a monospace font and I don't have any issue. Reading Mike's answer, it seems he still have the issue, even with your patch.

Michael.

in QUnixTerminal.cpp at line 49 you will see:

#ifdef Q_OS_MAC
    QFont font = QFont("Monaco");
    font.setStyleHint(QFont::TypeWriter);
    font.setPointSize(11);
#else
    QFont font = QFont("Monospace");
    font.setStyleHint(QFont::TypeWriter);
    font.setPointSize(10);
#endif
    setTerminalFont(font);
    setFocusProxy(m_terminalView);
    setFocus(Qt::OtherFocusReason);

line 56 is where I changed the font size

Does the font look monospaced?
Could you provide a screenshot?
When you open the preferences dialog in octave GUI and go to the Terminal tab, what fonts are listed in the font selection combobox?

Michael.

I am not using the GUI for these tests.
Mike shows the screen shot.

Can you not reproduce the problem??????