binary RPMs of Octave stable for enterprise Linux systems

From: Thomas Yengst
Subject: binary RPMs of Octave stable for enterprise Linux systems
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 13:53:04 -0700

One issue that generated some discussion at OctConf 2012 was binary
distributions of Octave stable (currently 3.6.2) for older versions of Linux.
While the newest releases of Linux, like Ubuntu 12.04 and Fedora 17, generally
have recent versions of Octave that can be installed with a simple "apt-get
install octave", many enterprise users may be stuck with older operating
systems (my research lab, for example, is using CentOS 5.5). In order to use a
recent release of Octave, one often has to start with the source tree; this
inhibits usage by large organizations. I have found that if I provide my system
administrators with an RPM they can just install with a single command, they
are appreciative and users get the most recent release.

I have built Octave 3.6.2 RPMs for CentOS-5 and Scientific Linux 6 and am happy
to build for other flavors of Linux if there is interest and a place to store
them.

cheers,
Tom Yengst