Can we work together to improve Octave?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Can we work together to improve Octave?
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 08:31:53 -0400

Hello, I have attempted to contact you before. I'm going to try again.

I see you're using Octave for two of the Coursera courses, and we
think that's great. I would also like to stay in contact with you
about possible future GNU Octave development.

I would like to know that Octave is serving the Coursera students
well, since they now form a large part of Octave's audience. To this
end, I would like to suggest that we work together on Octave issues.
Possible ways in which Coursera could work with Octave are: bug
reporting[1], patches, or donations[2] for supporting its development.
Of these, bug reporting should require the least involvement from your
part, but would nevertheless be useful for us and your students. We
would also like to point you to some exciting new developments in
Octave[3], such as a GUI and JIT compiling, as being worked on by our
Google Summer of Code students.

We recently had a mini conference[4, 5] where several prominent Octave
developers got together to discuss the future of Octave. I would like
to point this out to you in order to inspire other possible sources of
collaboration.

I hope you find this of interest,
- Jordi G. H.
  GNU Octave developer