Re: GUI font and cursor location

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: GUI font and cursor location
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 22:04:10 -0400

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 09:33:18PM -0400, Doug Stewart wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 9:19 PM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 03:27:22PM +0100, Michael Goffioul wrote:
> > > Thanks, these are very interesting findings. I'm also using 4.8.2 under
> > > Fedora, but it's possible that the packager has tweaked the package to
> > > change some default behavior, or it is part of the Qt style, I don't
> > know.
> > > But if it is some system settings, it is possible those are different
> > under
> > > Ubuntu (afaik both of you, Doug and Mike, are using Ubuntu). The link:
> > >
> > > https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/102899/
> > >
> > > contains a konsole patch ("View Diff" tab in the top-right corner of the
> > > yellow area). Could you apply the change to TerminalView.cpp and give it
> > > try. I tried it, but it didn't solve the problem with the FreeMono font
> > > (the only one showing the problem for me), but maybe it'll help for you
> > for
> > > the other fonts. Note also that I tried FreeMono in konsole and it's full
> > > of misalignment, so I guess here the font is the problem.
> >
> > Yep, that fixes it for me, including FreeMono, and the floating-point
> > height and width are not needed anymore. Since Doug and I were seeing
> > the exact same problem (he on Ubuntu and I on Debian) I assume this will
> > fix it for him too. Doug, can you confirm?
> >
> > If everyone's happy, Jacob, can you revert f91e00f and apply this?
> >
> > [...]
>
> Why should we not use the non integer font widths?
> They were implemented for a reason, and now you want to go back??
> The floating point method works for both methods so why lock ourselves to
> the past?
> Why not embrace the future?

Ok, this is valid, I agree that this feature was added for a reason. I
have no problem embracing the future. If we can fix the terminal to
render correctly with non-integer metrics, I support that. We have not
done that yet, the patch you submitted comes close but it is still not
quite there.

I was just happy to see the characters staying in place for the first
time. If getting non-integer rendering is important, by all means keep
working on getting it right. I don't think it's fixed the way it is now,
though.

--
mike