Re: binary RPMs of Octave stable for enterprise Linux systems

From: Thomas Yengst
Subject: Re: binary RPMs of Octave stable for enterprise Linux systems
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 20:15:44 -0700

On Jul 30, 2012, at 6:41 PM, Mike Miller wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 08:18:43PM -0700, Thomas Yengst wrote:
>> I've attached the RPM patches and SPEC file that I use to compile for
>> CentOS5. The patches are stolen from Fedora and the spec file has been
>> nurtured of documentation and libcurl. I would gladly accept a better
>> spec file - I'm a noob at rpmbuild.
>
> Not sure if you're aware, but all Fedora and EPEL packages are
> maintained as public git repos. I think it would be ideal if you or I or
> whoever else wants to help with RPM packaging forked the octave
> packaging repo,
>
>    git clone git://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/octave
>
> allowing at least the possibility to merge in updates from them, feed
> patches back to them, etc. This is what I was planning on doing once I
> had worked through the libcurl compatibility problems.
>
> --
> mike

Yes - agreed this is the right place to manage the different flavors of RPMs
for different architectures. I've seen from past log entries that Orion
maintains a few; he was nice enough to get me started on the rpmbuild path.

I'm happy to maintain CentOS5 and Scientific Linux 6.

In addition, we still should have a link on the Octave wiki to the place to
download the RPMs. I looked for a long time before I found the EPEL packages.

one last question - is there a short tutorial on how to manage new flavors of
the Octave stable package, to include etiquette, upload privileges, etc? I'd
like to contribute and I'm sure there's an easy way and a wrong way to do this.

thanks
Tom