Re: SuiteSparse problems

From: Ed Meyer
Subject: Re: SuiteSparse problems
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 16:37:11 -0700

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 9:48 PM, Robinson, Melvin D <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

Tried to build Octave from sources with the latest version of SuiteSparse.  It seems that the symbol SuiteSparse_time has been deprecated.  Here is the error message I receive

  "_SuiteSparse_time", referenced from:
      _umfpack_tic in libumfpack.a(umfpack_gn_tictoc.o)
      _umfpack_toc in libumfpack.a(umfpack_gn_tictoc.o)
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [liboctave.la] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
butterfly:octave melrobin$ port list SuiteSparse
SuiteSparse                   address@hidden          math/SuiteSparse

Something similar happens on Fedora as well.  Backing down to SuiteSparse 3.7.1 works.

what version of umfpack do you have - my 5.4 calls umfpack_timer but not SuiteSparse_time so
maybe you just need a newer umfpack

--
Ed Meyer