Can we freely use AMOS in Octave?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Can we freely use AMOS in Octave?
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 11:39:08 -0400

Hello, regarding this discussion:

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Fwd-OctDev-libcruft-amos-nonfree-Bessel-code-in-Octave-td4632360.html

It has been discovered that since 1998 we have been using the
dubiously-licensed AMOS in GNU Octave, a free numerical environment
mostly compatible with Matlab. Can you confirm that this is
acceptable? We require being able to use the AMOS code in a
GPL-compatible way:

    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhatDoesCompatMean

In particular, we cannot use AMOS if you insist on forbidding
commercial use. Note that the GPL allows commercial use, so adding
such a restriction is GPL-incompatible.

Please carefully consider all of Octave's users, such as the thousands
of Coursera students who have and are currently taking gratis online
courses and using Octave for their computations. If you cannot confirm
that using AMOS in Octave is acceptable, our users may suddenly lose
features they've been enjoying since 1998.

Thanks,
- Jordi G. H.
  GNU Octave developer