Re: Can we freely use AMOS in Octave?

From: Robert T. Short
Subject: Re: Can we freely use AMOS in Octave?
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 10:00:57 -0700

On 08/11/2012 09:33 AM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
On 08/10/2012 06:20 PM, Steven G. Johnson wrote:
Jussi Lehtola wrote:
The GSL code only supports real arguments, whereas both Octave and
Matlab support complex arguments.

.. so shouldn't this capability be added in GSL instead?

Possibly, but in the meantime Octave still needs complex-argument Bessel
functionality.

How many routines are required from the library? Is it few enough that we could write the routine ourselves? If it were one or two, looking up a few papers and writing some code might not be too bad.

Dan

There are 66 files, each fairly complex. This is not a trivial undertaking, but the algorithms for each are published in the ACM. If we can't use the code, we can still use the algorithms. The real issue is that we should probably get a little more serious than that if we really have to go that way. Those older routines were very heavily optimized for the computers of 1984, and many of those constraints have changed (to say the least).

Bob