Re: Rename src/

From: Robert T. Short
Subject: Re: Rename src/
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 13:36:32 -0700

On 08/14/2012 11:54 AM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
On 08/14/2012 12:46 PM, Robert T. Short wrote:
On 08/14/2012 10:43 AM, Michael D Godfrey wrote:
On 08/14/2012 12:39 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
One last thing in the source tree reorganisation. Can we rename src/ to interp/?

- Jordi G. H.
I vote yes.:-)
So if we are going to make descriptive names, why not really get
descriptive - interpreter instead of interp, libfortran instead of
libfort, etc.?  Long names inflict minor inconvenience I suppose, but
shortened names seems so, well, FORTRAN and 1960.

An emphatic "no" on that idea. I go with historic precedent. The reason these condensed names came about is that it cuts down on keystrokes and length of names. The latter was important in 1960 when memory and screen size was limited, but the former point on keystrokes still holds. I realize there is tab-completion for a lot of things these days, but still there is benefit to adhering to convention. "src" is a common condensation in the linux tree. "usr", "src", "etc" are ingrained symbols that make a programmer efficient, just like memorized control sequences for a favorite editor. It doesn't mean much to someone who's not a programmer at heart and just pecks around on the keyboard, but for folks who do programming 24+/7+ it makes a difference. (I'm not one them, but hold that view out of deference.)

Along that same lines, I would avoid spaces in directories for sure. Also avoid directory names that have several letters in common at the front, such as "interp-core" and "interpfcn". Having such things makes tab completion or searching clumsy at times. If the "interp" must be a commonality, my feeling is to then make a directory "interp" with subdirectories "core" and "fcn". Most of all, be consistent. For example, "corefcn", "interp-core", "interpfcn" has some inconsistencies in the sense that

1) Some directories have hyphenation, some don't.
2) The "fcn" is almost a redundancy, unless the implication is that there is some function in Octave called "core" and some function inside Octave called "interp". Otherwise, if it just means inside the directory are some functions related to "core", for example, then what else would the programmer think is in there if it were just "src/core"? 3) There's "corefcn", there's "interpfcn", and then there's a combination of the two "interp-core". Perhaps that's correct, but on first read it makes one pause.

Dan

Names with normal usage, like 'src' are meaningful and I see no reason to go against long-standing convention even if it was cooked up based on PDP 8 hardware before some of the people on this list were born. On the hand, as someone else said, interp makes me think of an interpolator and libfort makes me think of Daniel Boone's library. Names should be descriptive. Now if we were using names like 'TheDirectoryThatContainsALotOfFortanCode' I would agree with you, but the difference between interp and interpreter is such a small number of characters that even my meager typing skills are able to cope.

I do agree with you about the spaces and some of the rest of your comments.

Bob