Re: GUI compilation failing with Scintilla

From: Laurent Hoeltgen
Subject: Re: GUI compilation failing with Scintilla
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 08:56:42 +0200

Hi,

On 08/20/2012 11:39 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
> Laurent,
>
> I eventually figured out on my system how to upgrade to qscintilla
> 4/5. (Version 3 was on my system and that has the header file with
> the ::findFirst having less arguments.  I think you might have
> simply have gotten lucky by deleting the extra argument and running
> with the Qsci 3 library.)  I downloaded the latest Qsci, but
> altered the instructions slightly because "qmake" on my system was
> associated with Qt 3.3 and didn't work with Qsci 4/5.  I then found
> in the repository that qmake version 4/5 is called qmake-qt4, so
> this is what worked on my system:
>
> cd Qt4Qt5 qmake-qt4 qscintilla.pro make make install
>
> I verified Qt 4.7.4 and Qsci 2 8.0.2 are linked in.
>
> Unfortunately, this hasn't improved anything; I still get the
> Welcome to Octave! infinite loop.  So, I went to the manual
> creation of the "default-qt-settings" that several have described
> on the Maintainers list and got a little further:

I remember copying some files around to get out of the infinite loop.

> /usr/local/src/octave/octave-cellstr/octave/build3/run-octave
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot open output file
> /usr/local/src/octave/octave-cellstr/octave/build3/src/.libs/15924-lt-octave:

Permission denied

This problem didn't appear on my system.

> when running as a user (as opposed to root... running as root
> still fails).  Why the hidden directory for the libs?
>
> I installed octave and launched.  Now I get the Welcome to Octave
> screen again which doesn't go away.  I've tried other variations,
> but none worked.
>
> Operation seems a little dodgy and I'm wondering if I have the
> right versions of toolkits.  Seeing so many warnings about "this"
> pointer shadowing when compiling makes me wonder.

Don't know if it helps you, but I have installed all the necessary
stuff from the ubuntu repositories. Synaptic lists:

libqscintilla-dev  : 1.7.1-2build2
libqscintilla2-dev : 2.4.5-1ubuntu1

libqt4-core : 4:4.7.4-0ubuntu8.1

actually, most qt libs have version 4:4.7.4-0ubuntu8.1.

> Dan

>>> I had similar issues a few days ago. Just remove the last bool
>>> parameter in the function call and the error should go away (at
>>> least it did for me).
>>
>> OK, I see a "Welcome to Octave!" window. Thanks. (May not have
>> been the correct solution though, read on.)

Regards,
Laurent