Re: Can we freely use AMOS in Octave?

From: Steven G. Johnson
Subject: Re: Can we freely use AMOS in Octave?
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 08:15:41 -0400

Robert T. Short wrote:]
The "Amos" code was obtained from netlib, not the ACM. Here is what netlib says about restrictions on use:

It doesn't matter where we obtained it. What matters is who holds the copyright to the code (if any) and under what terms they allow distribution (if any).

This algorithm is a package of subroutines for computing Bessel
 functions and Airy functions.  The routines are updated
 versions of those routines found in TOMS algorithm 644.

So this really isn't the TOMS code anyway.

This is not how copyright law works. If ACM holds the copyright to the TOMS code and forbids distribution under the GPL, then that restriction also applies to any derived work of the TOMS code. Netlib clearly states that AMOS is derived from the TOMS code.

Furthermore, this code was published elsewhere (see the references in Amos' code).

This is not how copyright law works. Just because they published the code elsewhere in addition to ACM doesn't mean that they didn't transfer the rights to ACM.

I really don't think the ACM owns the copyright to the code we are using, and I think the only person that can grant or revoke permission is Amos himself or more likely Sandia Labs.

When you publish in ACM TOMS, normally the author assigns the copyright to ACM. See: http://toms.acm.org/AlgPolicy.html

"Authors of copyrightable algorithms (or their employers) are required to transfer the copyright to ACM upon acceptance of the algorithm for publication, in accordance with ACM policy to own copyright on ACM published material."

The ray of hope here is that Sandia also published the ACM code in SLATEC, where they explicitly stated that it is in the public domain. In my understanding, this means one of three possibilities:

a) Sandia had released the code into the public domain, i.e. relinquished copyright, prior to its publication in ACM TOMS. Hence, there was no copyright to assign to ACM.

b) Sandia made some other arrangement with ACM that allowed them to release AMOS into the public domain in SLATEC.

c) Sandia was mistaken: they had forgotten about the copyright transfer to ACM when they claimed to release SLATEC into the public domain.

Although (c) is a theoretically possibility, we have no reason to believe that Sandia did not perform due diligence when they released SLATEC. It seems reasonable to take the word of the original authors that the work is in the public domain (unless and until ACM sues Sandia over SLATEC).

Steven