Re: GUI starts up with terminal

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: GUI starts up with terminal
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 18:02:14 +0200

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 23-Aug-2012, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

| Before reporting as bug, just some inquiry:
|
| address@hidden ~] uname -a
| Linux jvc741 3.3.6-desktop-2.mga2 #1 SMP Thu May 17 16:49:59 UTC 2012 i686
| i686 i386 GNU/Linux
|
| (Mageia 2 w. LXDE wm)
|
| hg summary
| parent: 15203:aa7f4e33c524
| (IIRC tip of last Sunday)
|
|> From the LXDE Start Menu, the Octave GUI only starts up if I select
| "terminal".
| Indeed, first an LXterminal pops up, including some messages about shadowing
| etc; after a few seconds the GUI takes over.
| Intriguingly, the usual startup screen lines of Octave (GNU Octave, version
| 3.7.0+, Copyright etc) are shown in the GUI terminal.
| The LXterminal doesn't go away. I do have to close it manually.
|
| Is this expected behavior?

No.

That's what I figured.
BTW I was incorrect in mentioning the Start Menu (there's no functional menu editor in LXDE, AFAIK). It's the desktop "link" that needs a terminal. Also, "Run" on the start menu won't start up Octave.

So, I cannot start Octave outside a terminal. Question is: is it due to my OS (Linux Mageia w LXDE) or is it an Octave GUI bug?

Philip