Re: GUI starts up with terminal

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: GUI starts up with terminal
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 18:13:48 -0400

On 23-Aug-2012, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| Please add an option in the settings file because I quite often use
| octave in a minimalist fashion.

By the time Octave reads your .octaverc file, the GUI has already
started.  It has to be that way, otherwise the output from commands
that are executed in the octaverc file will not show up in the command
window of the GUI.  If by "settings file" you mean the Qt settings
file, then maybe there is a way to disable the gui there.  I'm not
sure.  Would you like to work on that?

If you want a truly minimalist Octave without the GUI, then you can
use "octave-cli".  It is not linked to the GUI toolkit libraries so it
will never start the GUI.