Re: Is it GUI? Or is it IDE?

From: Robert T. Short
Subject: Re: Is it GUI? Or is it IDE?
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 14:51:35 -0700

On 08/24/2012 12:57 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
--force-gui             Force graphical user interface to start.
  --no-gui                Disable the graphical user interface.

Before getting too far along, it might worth re-opening the discussion of the phrase "gui" (graphical user interface) versus "ide" (integrated development environment) because this was a point of contention in the past. I may be wrong, but from those threads about four months ago my conclusion was that things seemed to be leaning toward "ide".

I have said it before, but GUI is a much more general term than IDE. Certainly an IDE is a GUI, but we have other GUIs already present in octave (e.g. plotting) and MATLAB provides the user with the ability to create GUIs for their own applications and I think there has been some work in octave to do the same.

I really think we should back away from using GUI to describe an IDE. I think GUI, being more general, is confusing.

Bob