Re: Renaming libcruft

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Renaming libcruft
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 11:52:22 -0500

On 08/25/2012 01:36 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 24-Aug-2012, Rik wrote:

| I agree that once libcruft is no longer a top-level directory it should
| drop the lib prefix and just be whatever is descriptive of the contents.
| If "fortran" isn't good, what about netlib since that is the source for
| this code?  Also, if this directory is parallel to the 'math' directory
| then maybe it should be "fortran-math".  I notice that netlib refers to
| pieces of code as routines so maybe we could work that in.  Are
| "netlib-rtns", "numerical-fortrtns" any better?

"numerical" seems OK to me.

I would also be OK with just eliminating this extra level of directory
structure and have

   liboctave
     amos
     array
     blas-xtra
     daspk
     dasrt
     dassl
     fftpack
     lapack-xtra
     misc
     numerical
     odepack
     quadpack
     ranlib
     slatec-err
     slatec-fn
     system
     util

etc.  Here, numerical would be for the C++ numerical code that isn't
strictly array functions.  Maybe misc is not the best name for what is
in there now.  We can take our best shot at organizing the files we
have now.  If it isn't quite right, we can always tweak it later.

One drawback of this arrangement is needing to have still more -I
options to handle finding header files in the split up liboctave
directory tree.  But that only affects building Octave, not using it
since the installed header files are all put in a single directory.

Could a similar thing be done for building the source as well, in order to cut down on the number of include paths? Say the configure stage creates a symbolic link in

<build_dir>/include

for every header file? It would have to be symbolic links though, otherwise it would be a mess with submitted patches because of people editing a copy of the original instead of what is under Hg.

Dan