Re: Strange Permission denied error, JIT related?

From: Max Brister
Subject: Re: Strange Permission denied error, JIT related?
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 02:39:13 -0600

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 2:01 AM, Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden> wrote:
> Max,
>
> I just started seeing a strange error from the most recent code.  I compiled
> as root, then run octave from a user account and get a permission denied
> error.  I ran twice and got this:
>
> [sebald ~]$ /usr/local/src/octave/octave/build-nogui/run-octave
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot open output file
> /usr/local/src/octave/octave/build-nogui/src/.libs/19012-lt-octave:
> Permission denied
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit statusn[sebald ~]$
> /usr/local/src/octave/octave/build-nogui/run-octave
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot open output file
> /usr/local/src/octave/octave/build-nogui/src/.libs/19205-lt-octave:
> Permission denied
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit statusn[sebald ~]$
>
> Notice that the error message looks to be missing a backslash.  It says
> "statusn" and then the command line begins.  I think that is supposed to be
> "status\n".
>
> Notice that the library that Octave is looking for changed between attempts.
> In one case it is 19012-lt-octave, in the other it is 19205-lt-octave.
> Neither of these files are present in src/.libs.  All I see in that
> directory is "octave" and "octave-cli".  The two different file names make
> me think JIT.
>
> Now here's the strange part.  I launch ./run-octave from the build directory
> as root and Octave runs as normal (not surprising, I suppose).  But then I
> try again as a user and now Octave runs as normal (surprising?).
>
> Dan

Dan,

I think something odd happened when you were linking. I do not see how
JIT could be directly related to this issue as JIT does not generate
any temporary files, and nothing is kept across multiple invocations
of Octave.

When I look in my src/.libs folder I see
lt-octave  octave  octave-cli

--
Max Brister