Re: warnin about 'info' is a bug in eigs-base.cc

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: warnin about 'info' is a bug in eigs-base.cc
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 17:37:02 -0500

On 08/30/2012 04:05 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 30-Aug-2012, John W. Eaton wrote:

| On 30-Aug-2012, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:
|
| | I guessssss that I shooooouuld instead refactor and untangle the
| | sparse code. Do you insist I do that? It seems like a stupid
| | refactoring effort, but I guess we'll have to do it sooner or later.
|
| I was initially very confused about what was going on with the double
| use of info.  At the very least, I think that tricky code like that
| deserves a comment to explain it.
|
| I'm not insisting that you completely refactor and fix up that code.
| But I would rather have a "force" argument for the SparseCHOL
| constructor, and to not overload info for this purpose.  I'd also
| prefer to avoid having using "nargout" in liboctave functions, as that
| is not really a concept that applies there.  If you don't want to do
| it, I will.

I checked in the following change:

   http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/94cdf82d4a0c

This change doesn't fix the cut and paste problems

That's fine; not too much with one changeset.

 but I think it does
clarify the code somewhat by avoiding the confusing overloading of the
meaning of info.  It should also fix the uninitialized warning.

It compiles here without warning. "force" is a little vague, but so is the code.

I don't know how to test the sparse Cholesky routines, off hand, but the changes all look good--references, bool options, etc.

Dan