Re: FYI: libcruft merged into liboctave

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: FYI: libcruft merged into liboctave
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 00:55:31 -0500

On 08/31/2012 10:09 PM, Rik wrote:
8/31/12

All,

I have refactored liboctave into multiple directories using convenience
libraries.  In addition, the top-level directory and library libcruft is
now a subdirectory and sublibrary of liboctave.

Well, nice work. That's a lot of organizing. I do like this much better than what was previous. Going two levels deep is a bit extra work, but once in the subdirectory and listing the files it is much easier to absorb what is there compared to when liboctave had so many files. The directory names are short, yet descriptive.

The source tree will hopefully be slightly easier to understand for new
programmers coming to Octave.  A side effect, however, has been an
explosion in the number of -I include statements during the build process.

It's not that much worse than before and overall not too bad.  Does

-I../../octave/liboctave

still need to be in the list? There are no include files there after the reorg. One could also experiment with leaving out some include directories for some of the lesser subdirectories. When building a library's object code the headers required are often only those associated with the library. It's the higher level routines utilizing those libraries that need to have so many include files. Not real critical right now.

Dan