Re: OP_SRCDIR rule

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: OP_SRCDIR rule
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 14:36:13 -0500

On 09/01/2012 02:17 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On  1-Sep-2012, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| One thing that can be done (but I'm not saying it is the answer for
| something in this case) is to include a directory in the header file
| name used in the source code, e.g.:
|
| #include<libgnu/stdio.h>

The stdio.h file is only present in libgnu if it is needed to fix
problems with the system stdio.h file on a particular platform.  In an
ideal world, with all bugs fixed in the standard header files, these
replacement headers and files from gnulib would not be needed.  So
including standard header files with a libgnu/ prefix is definitely
not the right thing to do.

OK, those are a replacement for something else, then -I inclusion makes sense.

| #include<libinterp/version.h>

I'd also rather not do this for Octave headers.  I don't want to have
to install them in a hierarchy, and I expect users would not want that
either.  It would represent a massive backward compatibility problem
for anyone who has written .oct files in the past.

How about if "version.h" and "oct-conf.h" were placed in the ./ root of the build-directory as opposed into ./libinterp? Their contents look to be something appropriate to the highest level, or are they particular to libinterp? That would mean that none of the build-directory paths would need be included, and that -I../libgnu and -I../../octave/libgnu would only be included if there were a need to replace existing header files?

Dan