Re: There is an update to gl2ps available

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: There is an update to gl2ps available
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 18:13:35 -0500

On 09/02/2012 05:39 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
On Sep 2, 2012, at 3:53 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

On 09/02/2012 02:31 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
[snip]
The LIB_SUFFIX change made me wonder if gl2ps is now available via the various
package managers.  I checked Fink and MacPorts on MacOSX.  It is not yet
available for Fink (although that should be easy to do).  It is available from
MacPorts.  I did a quick Google, it appears to be available for Debian.  Might
we soon want to unbundle gl2ps and make it a dependency?

There's no build script for gl2ps.  Is it bundled as a lib-file?  Or as C that
must be included somehow?

Dan

cmake is used to create the Makefile.  I'm not familiar with the process, but
it looks to me as if CMakeLists.txt is analogous to configure.ac.  To build and
install ...

        cmake -G "Unix Makefiles"
        make
        make install

Well, that's easy enough. It creates library libgl2ps.so. I looked in the Fedora 14 repository, and libgl2ps.so is present, version 1.3.5.

To me it would make sense that gl2ps be a dependency, but I think waiting until more significant changes occur in gl2ps and after the next Octave stable release would be best. I suspect there will be a lot of outside compilations, and throwing in another dependency that may not be well supported could frustrate inpatient users eager for the next release.

Sounds like a good TODO list item and project for next summer.

Dan