Re: [OctDev] How can I help with translation?

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: [OctDev] How can I help with translation?
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 18:50:58 +0100

Always make reply to all including the mailing list. Also avoid top
posting (I have readjusted your e-mail to put it on the bottom). This
makes it easier for others to follow the conversation.

On 3 September 2012 17:58, 胡小柯 <address@hidden> wrote:
> 2012/9/3 Carnë Draug <address@hidden>:
>> On 3 September 2012 16:19, 胡小柯 <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> guys!
>>>
>>> I am very glad to encounter with octave, but I found that it is not
>>> available in Chinese, I mean Chinese Simplified. So I would like to
>>> help with translation, and read the translator guide, but it is
>>> confusing. Maybe it is outdated, can everybody update it so that I can
>>> follow it step by step to translate?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> hottea
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> No one has been working on this anymore. You are free to do so but
>> unfortunately it seems that everyone that was related to it are no
>> longer involved. See
>> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Help-wanted-to-translate-GNU-Octave-documentation-into-Chinese-td4633495.html
>>
>> I believe there's better methods to have translations, but they would
>> need to be implemented on octave core (I'm cc,ing the mailing list for
>> octave maintainers). Maybe you would like to start working on it?
>>
>> Carnë
>
> so there used to be someone would like to help with translation, but
> finally gave up because they didn't know how-to or there isn't a clear
> translator guide ?
>
> My problem is that I could not follow the guide to translate, can you
> tell me how to? I need brief and clear steps. I even didn't know what
> I need to translate after reading the guide. Tell me where are the
> files for translation and what tolls are available, it seems poedit is
> not available. Or, maybe I could translate the manual on this website
> http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/octave.pdf
>
> And I got some material available in Chinese Traditional on this
> website https://sites.google.com/site/octavetech/
> But it is seems it won't updated anymore and it have a long way to
> complete. And yeah, I am translating the manual, but only the Chapter
> 15 Plotting, because I am now needing it.

There used to be some people who knew how this is works. But no one
has doing anything about it for ages. The link I sent you was also
from a chinese person interested on translating a few months that got
stuck. I believe the way it worked was that a package would shadow the
core help function and would show a translated help text if available.
So only the help text of functions, not the manual would be translated
by this method. I can't help you more with this as I never tried do it
and don't know the details.

Carnë