Re: Test failures due to tolerance in fftfilt.m

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Test failures due to tolerance in fftfilt.m
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 16:12:59 -0500

On 09/06/2012 02:59 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
I'll toss this one to Ed and Rik, since we were just talking about
precision issues for svds test failures...

I checked the current state of tests and found this failure:

processing
/usr/local/src/octave/octave/octave/scripts/signal/fftfilt.m
***** test

There is a bit more to this, and I've put a patch on Savannah:

The routine will round the output if the inputs are integers and will truncate the imaginary component if both inputs are real. That seems fair, I suppose. (I do wonder though if there should be an option to remove this behavior because some might not want such a thing. Any thoughts maintainers or OctDev?) I've extended that concept to account for the other cases of real*imaginary, imaginary*real, and imaginary*imaginary. I don't see why only the real*real case should be done...all or nothing, as I see it. These conditions now have tests, and there are a couple more tests for tolerance on the imaginary/imaginary scenario, as well as the complex/complex scenario.

By making the integerization (rounding) test more stringent, I uncovered a bug whereby only the first element of the output single row vector was rounded.

Dan