Re: Domain Math IDE

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Domain Math IDE
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 14:29:07 +0200

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
On 11 September 2012 04:14, Philip Nienhuis<address@hidden>  wrote:

bpabbott wrote

Anyone have any info on this?

https://sites.google.com/site/domainmathide

I had some time to try v0.0.7 yesterday night.

So, worth trying to recruit the author?

It all looks like a hobby project to me, on the verge of abandoning.
Will you try it or do you want me to? (it seems I'm often too "direct".)

On another note, perusing the SF site I found this:
  http://qocterm.sourceforge.net/
Yet another GUI, I didn't know about it. Seems already abandoned.

There is contact information,
so one would have to wade through the forum to attempt to contact him

Yesterday night the ~8 forums contained altogether ~16 posts: 6 in "Announcements" (i.e., 1 post for each new version), IIRC 3 in "Bugs" + one thread in "Help/Support". Now draw your own conclusions....
DMI suffers from lack of a broader audience. Really too bad for the author.

or her, or perhaps the Twitter account. Vinu seems to enjoy Java, so
that could be a valuable help for Octave

I'm not convinced that Java is a valuable choice, esp. for IDEs/GUIs.
Matlab's GUI is written in Java and at work it regularly happens that ML's GUI crashes when invoking incompatible[1] Java methods and/or class libs (jars). (Admittedly ML's CLI usually survives those crashes.)

Or do you refer to JWE's Java plans?
IMO the current octave-forge Java package (v. 1.2.9) works very good. Sometimes it takes time and effort to find a way around its limitations but IMO it is at least as versatile as ML's Java interface. I have often more trouble invoking googled-up Java code snippets in ML than in Octave. E.g., I succeeded in making an OOo/LibreOffice interface for Octave (see io pkg) but porting the LO/OOo Java idiosyncrasies to ML at work proved impossible up til now. Yep, in a way that's good :-)

Philip

([1]"incompatible" = with the ML-supplied/included jars. As ML -AFAIK- has no namespace for Java you're often stuck with lacking jars (supplied by TMW/Matlab) while you need methods from newer ones. Swapping them leads to instability - obviously yet unavoidable).