Re: isreal benchmarking

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: isreal benchmarking
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 03:54:27 -0400

On 11-Sep-2012, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| In Octave, exp(), log(), sqrt() all end up doing narrowing, which is
| consistent with the math-op theme.  (It would happen naturally if these
| were script files using basic arithmetic, but I tested because they are
| internal operations.)

It's not that those functions do anything special to get the narrowing
behavior.  That happens by default any time a new octave_value object
is created.  You have to do something special to NOT get the narrowing
behavior, by carefully constructing the octave_value object so that
the narrowing is not performed.  As far as I know that only happens in
one place, and that is in the complex(re,im) function.