Re: imag () function detail regarding -0.0000

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: imag () function detail regarding -0.0000
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 16:21:48 -0500

Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden> wrote:

> So, Octave appears to be fairly adherent to the IEEE 754 standard.  I can
> get used to having the -0 floating about, but it is kind of annoying in
> arithmetic operations seeing this as I really only think of +/-0 related to
> convergence.

I do not believe Octave does anything special wrt IEEE 754 beyond what
underlying C++ compiler/library does.
That came up few times and the conclusion was that it is not Octave's business
to fix compiler bugs/missing features.

GCC compliance with IEEE 754 is iffy at the moment. The result may even change
with different optimization level.

Dmitri.