Re: [OctDev] On the union of two communities - The GNU Octave atmosphere

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: [OctDev] On the union of two communities - The GNU Octave atmosphere
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 10:52:35 +0200

Daniel J Sebald wrote:
On 09/14/2012 06:53 PM, Júlio Hoffimann wrote:
Hi Daniel,

     There are three, maybe four levels of Octave code:

     1) Core Octave written in C++ (i.e., compiled code)
     2) Commonly-used, moderately-general m-scripts (i.e., interpreted code)
     3) Compiled or scripted code related to user interface, whether that
     be a graphics engine, GUI/IDE, etc.
     4) Voluminous packages of field-related m-scripts

Thanks for your reply. These levels are familiar to me, i'm contributing
with very little patches when i have time.

This week i started to use Octave Forge, precisely the optimization
package. I found some missing headers during the installation and wanted
to submit another patch as usual, but then i realized i should clone
another repository, find another bug track system, subscribe to another
mailing list to discuss about it. I said to myself, this is wrong, let's
make it better.

I understand that, and this confusion may have been one of the
motivations for the conversation at OctConf 2012.  It stems from the
choice of name Octave Forge, which is similar to the name SourceForge
(whether that is the reason for the name, I'm not sure), and if I'm
remembering correctly Octave development too may have been on
SourceForge at one time.

Even though the web pages for Octave and OctaveForge are fairly well
organized, they might not be so descriptive about the relationship
between the two.  For example, on the main page

http://octave.sourceforge.net/

it states "Octave-Forge is a central location for the collaborative
development of packages for GNU Octave."  Nothing there implies
Octave-Forge is closely tied in with the Octave core code
<snip>

Moreover, nothing on the main Octave web pages (www.octave.org) mentions Octave-Forge anywhere, nor octave.sf.net, nor even the fact that add-on packages for Octave exist at all and can be found on Sourceforge uhm..., Octave-Forge.

Only indirectly, on the wiki linked to from the "Support" page, one can find the first casual mention of add-on packages.

IMO this setup was a community decision at the time so I never bothered much.

Philip