Re: [OctDev] On the union of two communities - The GNU Octave atmosphere

From: c.
Subject: Re: [OctDev] On the union of two communities - The GNU Octave atmosphere
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 12:31:17 +0200

On 15 Sep 2012, at 12:18, Júlio Hoffimann wrote:

> I see Agora as another level of contribution, namely
> http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/.
>
> In which users can submit small snippets of code, little functions and
> doesn't have to even know about coding standards - non-reviewed submissions.
> A place for users interact by submitting content of any kind, including blog
> posts, code, feature requests, discussions, etc.
>
> Octave Forge packages on the other hand are much more like MATLAB Toolboxes,
> they're developed by MathWorks itself, and are part of the software
> atmosphere, really.

this is sort of the same difference we envision between different parts of Agora
it should be formed of

1) contributions from independent developers either in the form of single files
or full packages
that are simply "dumped" on agora so users can download them (similar to
matlabcentral but with more
stress on freedom, thus no restrictive terms of use)

2) a set of "core" packages developed/maintained by (or in strict collaboration
with) developers of
Octave itself, following GNU coding and licensing directives.

This latter part will probably be named "the Forge" or something similar and
sounds to me like it
is very similar to what you are asking for.
Suggestions regarding which packages should be part of the Forge have been
collected on this list
some time ago, I'm sure you'll find them if you google for it.

> Júlio.
c.