Re: GUI doesn't appear when using ./run-octave

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: GUI doesn't appear when using ./run-octave
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 02:07:08 -0700 (PDT)

marco atzeri-2 wrote

> On 9/16/2012 1:05 AM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
>> The last days . /run-octave (with or without --force-gui) doesn't start
>> the
>> GUI but simply returns to the prompt..
>> octave --no-gui   starts up the good old CLI.
>> Just to be sure I wiped all source and build dirs and started anew with a
>> fresh clone, with the same result.
>>
>> Where can I start searching for the cause?
>>
>> Linux Mageia 2, gcc 4.6.3, Pentium-M
>>
>> Philip
>>

> eventually, same root cause of
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?37359
>
> Now the error message at start is:
>
> QCoreApplication::sendPostedEvents: Cannot send posted events for
> objects in another thread
>
> and the GUI frozes and is not anymore usable.
> Kill -9 is needed to close the program.

At least you do get error messages.

On my (linux) box simply nothing happens (apart from a little spike in the
CPU applet on some desktop panel) and nothing seems broken. It just won't
work - kill -9 isn't even needed.

The error message in your case seems related to one I posted a while ago
"QObject::startTimer: timers cannot be started from another thread" (2X)
here:

https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2012-August/029811.html
(which in my case didn't hang the GUI - I just had to click in the terminal
to get focus there, and then hit <Enter>)

Maybe a red herring, but do you have  win32/moc-QWinTerminalImpl.cc   or
unix/moc-QUnixTerminalImpl.cc
in <BUILDDIR>/libgui/ libqterminal ?

Philip