Re: GUI doesn't appear when using ./run-octave

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: GUI doesn't appear when using ./run-octave
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 23:41:17 +0200

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 15-Sep-2012, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

| The last days . /run-octave (with or without --force-gui) doesn't start the
| GUI but simply returns to the prompt..
| octave --no-gui   starts up the good old CLI.
| Just to be sure I wiped all source and build dirs and started anew with a
| fresh clone, with the same result.

Try removing ~/.config/octave/qt-settings and then starting Octave.

Yep that helps, thanks.  (if only all fixes were that simple)

But this points to a weak spot:
Octave's reading of this settings file should be made more robust, otherwise we can expect user complaints for every change to this file with new Octave versions. And what if users have several versions of Octave installed (and use them), each version depending on/expecting its own qt-settings file format/-contents.
(I'd guess developers are in this situation by default.)

Philip