Re: Operations with int and single

From: Israel Herraiz
Subject: Re: Operations with int and single
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 17:32:30 +0200

Excerpts from John W. Eaton's message of Tue Sep 18 17:15:41 +0200 2012:
> Seriously though, I think the reason is because no one has implemented
> the warnings yet.  Do you want the warnings?  Would you like to work
> on implementing them?

Yes. Any hint about where to start? I have been having a look, and I
believe the warning should be inside "do_binary_op" in
libinterp/octave-value/ov.cc

> Yes, it's intended.

Ok. Thanks for the clarification.

> Octave extended this to mixing int and single only because it was
> relatively easy to do so, and someone wanted to do it.  Do you want us
> to remove that capability?

Not at all :).

> Implementing operators for mixed-type integer operations would be
> possible, but in an array language, you don't want to simply cast the
> arguments.  Copy and entire matrix to another type then do the
> same-type operation?  That wastes memory and time so is not a very
> good solution.  So providing all those types means an explosion in
> the number of operator functions.  We could do it, but it doesn't seem
> worth the effort.

Please excuse if my question seems silly, but the same happens when
mixing ints and singles/doubles, isn't it? My point was that given
that the behavior was implemented for singles, the same reasoning
could be used to justify the implementation for other int classes.

I don't have a very strong motivation for this. I am using Octave as a
MATLAB substitute for my students, so they don't have to "acquire" a
MATLAB license and start using free software. But I would like our
code to remain portable to MATLAB, that's why I am intrigued about
these differences with MATLAB.

Thanks.

Israel